6. MANAGEMENT TOOLS
Given the new challenges arising on the Angkor site, UNESCO recommends that new management tools be developed in keeping with the directions to guide implementation of the World Heritage Convention:
- Fine-tune the system of identifying priorities in terms of conservation (need for a ten-year action plan that includes a risk map);
- Coordinate working methods and finalize the recommendations for Angkor monument conservation and restoration;
- Streamline project acceptance procedures (execution time frame, sustainable funding arrangements);
- Provide better follow-up of project execution (supervise application of the findings).
Subsequent to the mission carried out by legal expert Mr Lucien Chabason on protected zones 1 and 2, the Committee agrees with the conclusions of this report and recommends that they provide the basis for discussion within this Committee.
In the framework of drawing up a management plan and on the basis of the findings of the Lucien Chabason mission and observations made by UNESCO, it is recommended:
- That, as a matter of urgency, the current zoning for zones 1 and 2 established by royal decree in 1994 be updated, so that reference to public utilities is included therein;
- That an implementation sub-decree for the development of a statutory technical framework and a more efficient, straightforward and transparent means of data management be drafted, in order to ensure further communication related to protected zone management policies;
- That, in carrying out this updating process, the need for habitat and services upgrading for the communities living in zones 1 and 2 be taken into account;
- That an inventory of new buildings (legal and illegal) that have grown up in zones 1 and 2 be made quickly, as well as a population registry in both of these zones be set up;
- That the rules governing domainial (state-owned) property and ownership rights applicable to land in zones 1 and 2 be clarified and that putting in place a computerized land registry system for the Angkor / Siem Reap site be looked into;
- That the policies of the APSARA National Authority pertaining to zones 1 and 2 be integrated into the town of Siem Reap master development plan;
- That the technical skills of the APSARA National Authority be strengthened in the areas of urban planning, land registry and communication with regard to zoning.